Hacking Feminism: Lecture at F-word, September 2016, Amsterdam,
Gentle introduction to Linux - through XKCD
* Various Operating Systems
* Differences between Free Software & Open Source Software
* History of Unix
* I run Linux
* Some Linux distributions are more addictive then others
* How hard can it be? / It shouldn't be so hard
For the long version, see:
Mouse hower over: One of the survivors, poking around in the ruins with the point of a spear,
uncovers a singed photo of Richard Stallman. They stare in silence.
"This," one of them finally says, "This is a man who BELIEVED in something."
Differences between Free Software & Open Source Software
Mouse hower over: Title text: Later we'll dress up like Big Oil thugs and jump Ralph Nader.
History of Unix
I run Linux
Mouse hower over: We actually stand around the antivirus displays with the Mac users just waiting for someone to ask.
Some Linux distributions are more addictive then others
Mouse hower text: This really is a true story, and she doesn't know I put it in my comic because her wifi hasn't worked for weeks.
How hard can it be?
Mouse-over text: 40% of OpenBSD installs lead to shark attacks. It's their only standing security issue.
"It shouldn't be (so) hard"
Mouse over: (six hours later) ARGH. How are these stupid microchips so durable?! All I want is to undo a massive industrial process with household tools!
* For the long version, see:
* Hacking Feminism: https://wiki.laglab.org/Hacking_Feminism
* The F Word: Fantastic Feminist Festival: http://thefword.nl/
Contact details: see BecHa's page